Today is all about the power of simplicity.
Here’s an illuminating quote from Warren Buffet about his successful investment strategy:
“To the extent that we’ve been successful, it’s because we concentrated on identifying one-foot hurdles that we could step over rather than because we acquired the ability to clear seven-footers.
That may seem unfair, but in business, it is usually far more profitable to simply stick with the easy and obvious than it is to resolve the difficult.”
And Jack Welch said this about the success of people in business:
“You can’t believe how hard it is for people to be simple, how much they fear being simple.
They worry that if they’re simple, people will think they’re simple-minded.
In reality, of course, it’s just the reverse.
Clear, tough-minded people are the most simple and the most successful.”
On the surface, you may be tempted to think that these are just another quote about successful business strategies. This would be missing the point.
At the deepest level, these statements point to fundamental truths about success in all areas of life. Including health, fitness, weight loss, and personal performance. This also showcases the power of simplicity.
If “SIMPLE” is a key strategy of both the most successful investor in history and a man who’s often referred to as the top executive in the 20th century, then we may be wise to heed that advice.
But what does simplicity look like for us? Here are a few examples:
- Do more of what’s working: If you are having success with a particular strategy, then keep it up! The simplest path to more success is to find ways to improve or build on that strategy. Not to seek out a completely different strategy
- Action creates momentum: Your head may be spinning with the scope of what you want to accomplish, and all the possibilities available to choose from. The first step is to just do SOMETHING that takes you closer to your goal. One small thing may seem inconsequential, but celebrate the action itself rather than the outcome. Many small actions add up to big progress over time.
- Start with what you know: I’m willing to bet that in most areas where you are facing barriers, you already know WHAT to do. You just aren’t doing it, or at least not consistently enough. People often look for some “magical strategy or solution” that will instantly solve their problems. Magic solutions rarely exist and the search for these “unicorns” stops people from making forward progress. Start with the simple options you already have in front of you and take action to create momentum
- Buy Speed: If you aren’t seeing traction from your small actions, or are completely bewildered as to where to start, the smart solution is to find someone who can help. This often comes in the form of a coach, advisor, trainer, or mentor. When you can leverage the knowledge, experience, and inspiration of these people, progress typically happens much faster.
- Follow Pareto’s Principle: This is simplicity at its root. The large majority of your success (80%, 90%, or more) will come from a small fraction of your efforts (20%, 10%, etc.) Successful people are able to determine and focus almost exclusively on these small number of high-impact actions.
Here are the things the most successful people I know do that sets them apart in health, fitness, business, and life.
- Learned to view life through a positive filter
- Clearly defined their most important goals and take daily action towards them
- Relished opportunities for learning and improvement
- Found ways to make the journey fun
- Left their ego at the door and ask for help when needed (or desired).
These 5 things aren’t magic or rocket science…but they work.
Sure – there are many other areas that can help you succeed in health, fitness, and life, but I’d start here first.
See yourself as an awesome, positive, vibrant person, and live each day by taking the simplest, most effective action in pursuit of your most important objectives.
Or, as Jeff Foxworthy famously said “‘Git ‘er Done!”
Be great at the fundamentals. The simple things that others dismiss.
It’s the power of simplicity – and simple works.
Now get out there and Ignite Your Potential™
If you need a hand properly figuring out what ‘simple’ looks like for you, don’t worry! Book a free consultation with one of our experienced coaches and we can help find out what is best for you. You can contact us here!